Issue Number: #
Where it started… It was in 1950 during my vacation in Sabang Sibonga, Cebu , the birthplace of my father, that I met Maning Tenebro, who became my first instructor in Combat Judo and Arnis. He is a polite, calm, wholesome, and reserved person. He is one of the most respected men in the barrio of Sabang.
His father is a faith healer. Maning himself offered to teach me and a nephew of my sister’s husband combat judo and Arnis in preparation for the Sabang barrio fiesta demonstration. At the time, I was still an elementary student, so I had enough time to practice with Master Maning, especially during vacation.
As I became more interested, I wanted to improve my techniques. I wanted to practice every day, since I was schooling in Cebu City . We practiced every Saturday and Sunday.
One time Maning told me that his instructor was Doring Saavedra. Nevertheless, at that time I was not interested to know who discovered the said art or the style or where it came from. I just hungered for techniques – just teach me how to fight, protect, or defend myself if my life is in danger.
After I graduated from Cebu Institute of Technology (CIT), I got a job as a security guard at CIT. That was when I met Fernando Candawan from Doce Pares. In a short time, he became my instructor in Combat Judo and Arnis. Master Candawan was also working in the Registrar’s office of CIT.
We practiced at the CIT compound every night from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Actually, Master Fernando “Nanding” Candawan, aside from Combat Judo and Arnis, is also a Judo (Japanese) player. He is a former boxer and a bodybuilder. After a few months working as a security guard, I was transferred to the Registrar’s office where Master Nanding Candawan also worked. A few months later, we organized a club with some enthusiasts in Combat Judo and Arnis.
That was the formal birth of DUREX- Judo-Arnis-Karate Club in the headquarters inside CIT. In addition to Eskrima/Arnis (stick defense) and Combat Judo (knife defense), we also offered Korean Martial Arts Moo Duk Kwan (Tang Soo Do). In the same year, we affiliated the DUREX Judo-Arnis-Karate Club to the Doce Pares headquarters and our Tang Soo Do to the headquarters in Bacolod City under Grandmaster Casimiro “Chingi” Grandeza.
We personally talked to Grandmaster Ciriaco “Cacoy” Cañete about our affiliation to Doce Pares Club, and I went to Bacolod City to meet with Grandmaster Grandeza to inform of our intention to affiliate to the Moo Duk Kwan (Tang Soo Do Assn.).
However, in early 1966, Master Nanding Candawan left Cebu to pursue a job in the Registrar’s office in the University of Mindanao . Nevertheless, I maintained our practice in CIT every Sunday morning.
We had a strength of more than one hundred, all CIT students, and were able to expand our club to Lapu-Lapu City Cebu, Minglanilla Cebu, Butuan City Mindanao, Cagayan de Oro City, and Tagbilaran City Bohol.
Later I went to the club of Grandmaster Felimon “Momoy” Cañete, a walking distance, and to the Doce Pares headquarters with the house of Grandmaster Ciriaco “Cacoy” Cañete. Unknown to all then, I had private lessons with GM Momoy Cañete, especially in the Espada Y Daga and double Arnis amara. GM Momoy is a secretive man; I like that.
Almost every Sunday afternoon I attended practice with his senior students, such as Ben Culanag, Ben Irog-irog, Peryong, and Banoy Borja. I really practiced with GM Momoy after all his students left the class. He refrained me from joining the advanced students. However, I always followed his advice and his instructions not to tell or give to anyone what I have learned from him. As I said earlier, he is a very secretive man.
That is why even in DUREX Club, nobody knew that I was practicing with Grandmaster Momoy Cañete because I was afraid he might not give me or teach me his techniques anymore. Grandmaster Momoy has so many locks in Combat Judo and Espada Y Daga. He has a beautiful long-range style and Arnis Kata. Maybe no one knew that GM Momoy and my mother-in-law were very close friends, and that the former house of my mother-in-law was very close to the house of Momoy.
GM Momoy was also a faith healer, so when my mother-in-law got sick, GM Momoy would use his Oracion to cure her. Once when I got a severe headache, GM Momoy applied his Oracion by holding the back of my head, and within 30 seconds the headache was gone. I was always curious about his ability to cure, and if it had anything to do with his expertise in Arnis or Espada Y Daga.
I invited GM Momoy to dinner, and had the chance to talk to him about his extraordinary skill in curing by the use of Oracion, but was afraid to open my mouth. Before I went to Saudi Arabia , I met GM Eulogio “Yulling” Cañete.
I cannot forget his advice to me: “Don’t forget the techniques that you learned from your instructor;” it is the same Doce Pares style. Later he told me to always search for techniques to improve my style and abilities.
I remember during the Doce Pares annual celebration, all clubs affiliated with Doce Pares would give a demonstration including the DUREX Club. But the most awaited performers were the Grandmasters.
Every time they demonstrated, I always watched their movements, footwork, and the flow of their hands in applying techniques. However, I made my own research with my own techniques, and refined them, developing my speed and power, along with my knowledge in Korean Tang Soo Do punches, elbow strikes, kicking, stance, and stamina.
When I was in Saudi Arabia , I became a member of WTSDA (World Tang Soo Do Assn.), based in Philadelphia , by Grandmaster Jae Shin, and I received the Gold lifetime membership of said association. Later, I also became a member of the WOMA (World Organizer of Martial Arts, Saudi Arabia ) by Grandmaster Tianero.
I am indebted to all the Grandmasters and students throughout my martial arts career, especially to my personal instructor GM Fernando “Nanding” Candawan for his influence and role in my martial arts skills; to Grandmaster Felimon “Momoy” Cañete for his patience, wisdom, and trust in me not only as a martial artist, but also a protector of his secret techniques; to my first Korean martial arts instructor Manuel “Maning” Yu; to Grandmaster Casimiro “Chingi” Gradenza, President of the Philippine Moo Duk Kwan (Korean Tang Soo Do) of the Bacolod City; and to Maning “Undo” Tenebro.
August 1989 was an epic making year. Spearheaded by chief instructor Grandmaster Gerardo B. Alcuizar and a handful of energetic, sports-minded individuals and self-defense enthusiasts, he transformed a dream into reality by forming and founded the World Eskrido Federation (WEF) at King Khalid Air Base Sports Complex, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
WEF concentrated on Arnis/ Kali/Garote (Stick Fighting), Combat Judo (Knife Defense) including Karate influence. Grandmaster Alcuizar devoted much of his time to the propagation and development of the art, taking a more direct and scientific approach
WEF was organized to help develop strict discipline in sportsmanship, promote sound mind and body, and improve skill and stamina. In addition, the training received allowed members to enhance the moral and social responsibility of the youth, thus minimizing and completely eliminating delinquency. The philosophy taught within the WEF curriculum involved the following:
- Develop physical, mental, as well as social emotions of an individual.
- Provide guidance to students in the training of self-defense, physical fitness, self-control, and mental discipline which contributes to nonviolence.
- Develop students ability to gain the rare knowledge of knowing how to win without fighting, benefiting others as well as within.
- Guide students by imparting in their minds what Eskrido could do as a part of physical education in the moral, physical, and spiritual development of an individual.
Within the aspects of learning any martial art, discipline training is a must. Thru this training, students gain a moral philosophy of obedience and a sense of duty and respect. The overall philosophy of the art is to help develop each student’s individual character, mental strength, and respect to others as well as the ability to do what is right, rather than what is easy or wrong.
Not long after, many people from the different parts of Khamis Mushayt, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia started to join WEF. Each member was screened to be of good moral and social standing.
To date, the majority of the members are Filipino, along with other Nationalities. At present, WEF has several branches scattered in Assir Region, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia , and in the Philippines Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao
In October of 2003, I came to join my wife as an immigrant here in the United States of America . At the same time I was also invited as a representative from Saudi Arabia and Philippines for a World Tang Soo Do tournament held in Philadelphia , PA , USA . Since being here in the states, I have conducted a 4-part seminar in Arnis, in cooperation with the Ferrer Academy of Martial Arts in Cypress , California .
One American student, Loucious Smith, who owns a sports training facility in Anaheim, California is currently en route to becoming the first 3rd Dan Black Belt in Combat Judo and Arnis of the World Eskrido Federation, U.S.A., and two Filipino American Harold Bugarin and Ronald Manrique, and an AmericanSteven Prejean are also studying for their for 3rd Dan to be certified by Grandmaster Gerardo “Larry” Alcuizar Sr..
He has used the term “ESKRIDO” as a combination for Eskrima, Arnis, and combat judo and registered the name of “WORLD ESKRIDO FEDERATION” in the Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Grandmaster Gerardo B. Alcuizar, PhD M.A. (1934-2007)
Judan Kuro Obi-10th Dan Red Belt-Soke
Founder and President World Eskrido Federation and DUREX Philippines
Executive Examiner, Certified World Grandmaster
GM Gerardo “larry” Alcuizar Sr., pass away on September 09, 2007. And he was buried in Carcar, Cebu, Philippines
- Grandmaster – Judan Kuro 10th. Ban Red Belt-Soke
- 10th. Dan Red Belt – in ESKRIDO – Combat Judo (Knife Defense)
- 10th. Dan Red Belt – in ESKRIMA/ARNIS (Stick Defense)
- Master Instructor – in Tang Soo Do (Korean Martial Arts)
- Master Instructor – in Tae Kwon Do ( Korean )
- Doctor of Philosophy in Martial Arts (Ph.D.MA.)
- World Eskrido Federation – based in Saudi Arabia & Los Angeles California
- World Organizer of Martial Arts (WOMA) based in Saudi Arabia
- World Organizer of Martial Arts – International Council of Masters & Grandmasters based in Saudi Arabia.
- B.O.M.A.C. Board of Martial Arts Council of Referees & Judges based in Saudi Arabia
- World Head Society – International Instructor – Lifetime based in Japan
- World Tang Soo Do Assn. – Gold Membership Lifetime member based in Philadelphia
- Philippine Moo Duk Kwan (Tang Soo Do Assn.) based in the Philippines.
- Philippine DUREX Judo-Arnis-Karate Club – based in Cebu City, Philippines
- DOCE PARES SELF-DEFENSE CLUB – based in Cebu City, Philippines
- Philippine Tae Kwon Do Assn. based in Manila
- Philippines National Amis Assn. of the Philippines (NARAPHIL) based in Manila, Philippines
- 2002- October 1st. awarded the Degree of DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN MARTIAL ARTS (Ph.D.MA.) by the WORLD ORGANIZER OF MARTIAL ARTS (WOMA) International Council of Higher Martial Arts Education, signed by Prof. M.I. Tianero Ph.D.MA. -recognized by the International Society of Philosophy, lecturer & certified World Grandmaster.
- 2002- September 1st. received a certificate as a LIFETIME MEMBER of the INTERNATIONAL GRANDMASTER SOCIETY (IGS), has completed all the requirements of membership as prescribed by the Society, signed by Prof. M.I. TIANERO-Soke. PH.D.MA. AT THE SAME DATE? received a certificate of INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP from the SPECIAL OPERATION COUNCIL OF SAUDI ARABIA, signed by Abdulrahman Baraden Al-Omeiri – Advisor, Special Weapons Instructors1 Team, and also signed by Prof. M.I. Tianero-Soke, Ph.D.,MA. Chief Advisor, Special Weapons Instructors. Team, for Specialty in hand-to-hand combat and knife self-defense.
- 2002- March 24th. received certificate for RANK RECOGNITION OF STATUS JUDAN KURO-OBI, 10th. DAN RED BELT-SOKE, GRANDMASTER, from the WORLD HEAD OF SOCIETY, INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL of Masters & Grandmasters.
- 2002- February 28th. received an AWARD OF RECOGNITION an an OUTSTANDING OFFICIAL from the Board of Martial Arts Council (B.O.M.A.C.), Kingdom of Saudi Arabia given during the 2002 B.O.M.A.C. induction of officers, Khamis Mushayt, Assir, K.S.A. (Assir region)
- 2002- February 22nd. received certificate of International Rank Recognition -JUDAN KURO-OBI, RED BELT-SOKE for the style of KARATE TANG SCO DO, COMBAT JUDO (Knife defense), and ARNIS (stick defense) from the World Organizer of Martial Arts (WOMA)-USA, signed by Prof. M.I. Tianero-Soke. Ph.D.MA.
- 2001- July 23rd. received a CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION as JUDO COACH from KING KHALID AIR BASE – SPORTS COMPLEX, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Ministry of Defense & Aviation, Royal Saudi Air Force as signed by Col. Mohsen S. Al-Zahraini -RSAF Sports Director.
- 2000- February 28th. received certificate of APPOINTMENT AS TECHNICAL ADVISER for WOMA-USA, Assir Region, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, signed by Grandmaster M.I. Tianero, Chairman of the Board and also signed by Hon. Arturo Sodusta, Philippine Labor Attache, Philippine Embassy, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- 2000- February 25th. received a certificate of GRANDMASTER OF THE YEAR from ” WOMA-USA signed by Prof. M.I. Tianero-Soke Ph.D.M.A. World Grandmaster.
1999- August 27th. received an AWARD OF RECOGNITION as an OUTSTANDING INSTRUCTOR given during the 1999-2000 WOMA Sports USA Induction of Officers and Family Members Awarding Ceremony at Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- 1990- January 28th. received CERTIFICATE OF RECOGNITION from ARNIS PHILIPPINES, Cebu Chapter.
- 1989- December 30th. received GRANDMASTER of Promotion with the RANK of 9th. DAN BLACK BELT in ESKRIDO (Combat Judo, and Arnis/Eskrima (stick-defense) from DOCE PARES SELF-DEFENSE CLUB, at Cebu City, Philippines.
- 1985 & 1986- September 1st. received a PROFESSIONAL RECOMMENDATION for Combat Judo (Knife defense & stick defense) Instructor and for Karate-Tang Soo Do Instructor from UNITED STATES SPORTS ACADEMY, King Khalid Air Base, Khamis Mushayut, K.S.A. signed by Clyde Billings-Program Director and signed by David J„ Person – Dean of Academic Affairs,
- 1982- January 24th. OFFICIAL COACH & TRAINER of the Visayas Team during the FIRST TANG SOO DO BLACK BELT Invitational (Karate tournament), held in Davao City, Philippines.
- 1979- August 19th. OFFICIAL REFEREE during the FIRST NATIONAL INVITATIONAL ARNIS TOURNAMENT Sponsored by the National Amis Association of the Philippines (NARAPHIL)
- 1979- March 24th. OFFICIAL REFEREE, during the First National Amis Tournament, held in Cebu City, Philippines, sponsored by NARAPHIL.
- 1978- Received Certificate of Appreciation as ARNIS (stick defense) CONSULTANT during the FOUR-DAY Regional Workshop in Physical Education and some selected Sports , held at Cebu Normal College, Cebu City, Philippines from November 21-to-24, 1978.
- 1977- Received Certificate of Appreciation as SENIOR INSTRUCTOR IN ARNIS (STICK defense) during the 3rd. INFANTRY DIVISION ARNIS SEMINAR conducted from November 9, 1976 to January 27, 1977, at Camp Lapulapu, Cebu City, Philippines.
- 1977- Received Certificate of Appreciation as COMBAT JUDO (knife defense) and ARNIS (stick defense) INSTRUCTOR, during the First Seminar for POLICE AUXILIARY, March 13-to-20th. Cebu City, Philippines„
- 1977- Received Certificate of Appreciation as SENIOR INSTRUCTOR IN ARNIS (stick-defense) during the FIRST REGIONAL ARNIS seminar sponsored by the DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION & CULTURE (DEC) Region VII on December 7th. -to ll th. at CEBU YMCA, Cebu City, Philippines.
- 1977- Awarded BEST PERFORMANCE & CHAMPION IN ARNIS during First Lapulapu City CITY ARNIS FESTIVAL, May 1st. held in Lapulapu City, Philippines.
- 1976- Awarded BEST PERFORMANCE & CHAMPION IN ARNIS during the FIRST NATIONAL ARNIS FESTIVAL, March 6th. to 7th. held in Cebu City, Philippines.
- 1974- ASSISTANT TRAINER for the Eastern Visayas Team, for the WORLD KARATE Tournament (PKA) held in Cebu City, Philippines.
- 1970- Received cerficate of Appreciation as EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN OF THE VISAYAS MOO DUK KWAN ASSN. (Tang Soo Do) from Central Gym. Bacolod City, Philippines.
- 1968- OFFICIAL COACH & TRAINER for the Central Visayas Team (Karate Tang Soo Do) Cebu City, Philippines,
- 1968- Received Certificate of Appointment as GUIDANCE SUPERVISOR of the Visayas Moo Duk Kwan Assn0 (Tang Soo Do Assn.) from Central Gym. Bacolod City, Philippines.
- 1967- PLAYING COACH for Central Visayas Karate Team, during the FIRST BLACK BELT CLASSING CHAMPIONSHIP of the Tang Soo Do, held in Davao City, Philippines.
- 1964- Awarded BEST ARNIS (STICK) PLAYER OF THE YEAR with certificate from DOCE PARES SELF-DEFENSE CLUB.. Cebu City, Philippines
- 1963- Awarded COMBAT JUDOIST OF THE YEAR (knife defense) with certificate from DOCE PARES SELF-DEFENSE CLUB. Cebu City, Philippines.
I hereby certify that the foregoing information is true and correct.
Grandmaster Gerardo Alcuizar, Ph.D.MA. (1934-2007)
Judan Kuro Obi-10th. Red Belt-Soke Founder & President of the World Eskrido Federation